Sentier des Crètes du Vissou
The creation of the “crêtes de Vissou” trail was an opportunity for the winegrowers of the Languedoc Cabrières AOP to provide visitors with insight on an essential part of their remarkable heritage. During this hike, visitors will:
- explore the geological history that goes back 500 million years
- gain understanding about Cabrières’ capacity to produce quality wines, particularly fine AOP wines
- gain understanding about the soil chemistry in this beautiful area with delightfully outlined parcels
- take advantage of the panoramic views of the entire region, by following the ridgeline
An invitation to explore the area and take a trip back through time, the Vissou ridges trail is also the best way to gain understanding about the men and women whose passion for their land shines through in their wines. This project was implemented with the French hiking federation (federation de la randonnée pédestre) and was backed by the Hérault General Council and the Pays Coeur d’Hérault (European Leader LAG funding “Convivencia”).
- The Vissou ridges (Les crêtes de Vissou): 12 km – 4 hours – moderate difficulty.
- The “Vissou story” (Vissou se raconte) discovery trail: 9 km – 3 hours – moderate difficulty.
This trail wends its way through a listed site with a wealth of natural, geological and landscape features to explore. Departing from the village, the trail winds through the vineyards, climbs up to the fragrant garrigue and meets up with the imposing face of the Pic de Vissou. This pleasant hike provides an opportunity to see many unusual geological features as well as a breathtaking view of the Estabel terrace. In the background, the outline of the Vissou is a point of reference throughout this walk that promises many surprises.
- Minimum altitude: 103 m
- Maximum altitude: 480 m
- Elevation gain (total in metres of all ascents): + 555 m
- Respect private property, stay on the marked trail (please do not venture into the vines)
- Respect protected areas
- Specific hazards: be careful in windy and rainy conditions, around cliffs, on the peak, and along roads